'Ohana at Disney's Polynesian Village Resort

There's something about Disney's Polynesian Village Resort that just makes me very happy. Whether it's how amazing the lobby always manages to smell or the fond memories of delicious food, just thinking about it brings a smile to my face! Or maybe it's because the Tikiman, Maui, is just so stinking cute ;)


Onto one of my favorite topics...food! And before I even get to 'Ohana, I have to talk about the Tambu Lounge for a second. If you're like me you've hit the podium to check-in at 'Ohana only to be told there would be a 15-30 minute wait. So while you can take a seat and wait or even walk around and check things out in the resort, I prefer to head to the Tambu Lounge. Usually this is just to grab drinks, because there's a lot of food at 'Ohana, but I smelled pot stickers down the bar and had to have some for myself. And I'm so glad I did! They are very simple wok seared pork and vegetable dumplings, but they have this delicious and creamy soy ginger sauce over them. Pork Dumplings are on the menu at 'Ohana, and we argued back and forth about whether or not they were the same and we had to come to the conclusion that the ones at the bar were just better. 
And it's not a trip to the Polynesian without a Lapu Lapu, which is: Myer's Dark Rum and Fruit Juices served in a fresh Pineapple topped with Goslings 151 Rum. It's delicious! 
And then you find yourself at 'Ohana, where you are never prepared for the amount of food you're going to be presented with. I get so excited when I see the 'Ohana Pineapple-Coconut Bread that I want to run to my table! It's that good! By the time the mixed green salad with Lilikoi dressing makes it to our table, I've likely already eaten half of the bread. An assortment of appetizers is then brought to your table which include Pork Dumplings in a Garlic-Ginger sauce served with peanut and sweet-n-sour sauces, honey-coriander chicken wings served with peanut and sweet-n-sour sauces, noodles tossed in a Teriyaki sauce, and stir-fried vegetables. Your main courses are sweet-n-sour chicken, spicy grilled peel-n-eat shrimp, and Szechuan sirloin steak - all prepared over an oak fire, served on Skewers. I'll be honest, I'm not a huge "oak fire" food type of person, but the shrimp are great. (My husband could seriously eat here every night, it's what he calls "man food!") What I impatiently wait for is that beauty up there ^ the 'Ohana Bread Pudding a la mode, which comes with a caramel sauce with bananas. And it's delicious! Definitely one of my top 5 favorite desserts at Disney World! 
If food isn't really your thing (...idk if we can be friends lol) the Polynesian Village Resort is still definitely worth a visit. It's gorgeous and it's pretty amazing to think that it was one of the first two Disney World on-site resort hotels! 

No comments